Initial Thoughts

Initial Thoughts

My experience with experiential learning in a formal setting has been quite limited until this point. Over the years I've participated in several field trips; however, they all took place when I was considerably younger. During those years I did not pay much attention to the actual learning side of these trips. I more or less went along for the ride and simply enjoyed the time away from the classroom. Outside of school, experiential learning was the only method I had to learn two of my summer jobs: construction and landscaping. In these settings my boss would teach me as we worked. In both cases, I started simple tasks and once I proved myself, I would be given more difficult responsibilities. I found that this method of learning was extremely effective for me. By working with my hands and immediately applying concepts/techniques, I was able to concretely remember information rather quickly. Additionally, I learned the value of mistakes and how they can be the most effective learning opportunities. If I did something incorrectly, I had to recognize what went wrong and, more importantly, how to prevent it in the future. In nearly every case, I never made the same mistake again.

I chose to take Outdoor Education mainly because of my interest in the environment and outdoors. I have always had a passion for outdoor activities as well as an appreciation for nature. At the same time, I believe this class is the perfect avenue to learn and appreciate Australia's environment. I could visit the Blue Mountains and the Royal National Park on my own; however, I'm certain that I will have a far richer experience visiting them through this class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Royal National Park

Blue Mountains